Director of Engineering
Media-featured care-tech venture seeks dynamic Director of Engineering to strategically evolve our platform, lead a team of software engineers, and individually contribute coding expertise.
Are you excited by the idea of transforming how working families take care of children and aging loved ones while improving their professional lives? Are you passionate about leveraging technology to provide caregivers with life-changing information and services?
Torchlight is looking to hire a full-time Director of Engineering who is interested in playing a key role in driving improvements to our software-as-a-service caregiving products and contributing to the impact of Torchlight on a national scale. You can expect to work with some of the brightest and most passionate minds in the quest to transform how families take care of children and aging loved ones while improving their professional lives, all via game-changing technology and services. Caregiver support has emerged as one of the top concerns among employers and health and wellbeing organizations, and Torchlight leads the market with the most complete solution. This position reports to the CEO and works closely with the VP of Product.
We can’t wait to talk to you if you are looking to use your talents for good, can iterate your way to innovation, and are committed to personal growth and excellence in all that you do.
Essential Job Functions
- Work collaboratively with the VP of Product and the product and engineering teams to understand high-level requirements and develop software architecture and design
- Provide hands-on technical leadership on the engineering team (a mix of in-house and outsourced resources)
- Create and drive the technical design and task management of the development team to meet business goals and schedules.
- Drive the implementation of development activities, both as an individual contributor and as the supervisor/technical lead of a small team of developers
- Lead team to provide ongoing support for Torchlight’s web application
- Diagnose and troubleshoot production application issues
- Establish and evolve software development and documentation practices, standards and processes
- Keep up-to-date with technical trends and evaluate/recommend the adoption of new technologies, processes, and tools
- Supervise, mentor and develop team members, provide constructive feedback on design and code quality, and build an inclusive culture with high performing teams
- Communicate technical information to clients and other stakeholders as needed
- Support all aspects of the Torchlight Information Security Policy and associated procedures
The ideal candidate:
- has 8+ years of hands-on experience building web-based applications and object-oriented design
- has strong experience developing web application backends including design considerations, database architecture, data modeling and analytics
- can work independently as an individual contributor as well as collaborate with leadership, product & outside development resources
- has some understanding of Ruby on Rails with a SQL/MySQL database
- has a deep understanding of unit testing tools, such as RSpec.
- is comfortable working as a member of a team on a shared codebase via GitHub or Bitbucket
- can perform relational database querying (MySQL, Postgres, etc.)
- has experience working with IaaS Cloud hosting solutions (AWS) as well as deployment tools
- is experienced working in an Agile software development environment
- has growing leadership and supervisory skills
- honesty, kindness, and quality
- entrepreneurial mindset
- excellent communication and analytical skills
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree
Torchlight is the complete caregiver support solution for employers and member organizations, pairing an award-winning, self-service digital platform with the country's top specialists. No matter the age, stage or concern, Torchlight’s decision support tools, caregiving knowledge base and human expertise combine to reduce stress and enhance outcomes for both families and their sponsoring organizations more cost-effectively than call center or concierge-only solutions. And Torchlight makes this easy: ask a question, get an answer; need direction, get a plan; feeling lost and alone, find confidence and community… all at close reach. At Torchlight, we believe that caring is everyone’s business and caring is good business.
Headquartered in Burlington, MA, we offer a flexible work environment and generous benefits package with equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a diverse workplace.
For more information, visit www.torchlight.care or email a cover letter (required) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.